Friday, March 18, 2016

5 - On a Bright night, and other stories

Drawings by Eritrean refugee children from Aaidun and Nidal Elementary in Kassala, South East Sudan, with accompanying stories written by children of Flemington Primary School, Melbourne Australia.


To learn more about Eritrean Australian Humanitarian Aid (EAHA)  and how you can help refugee children in Sudan through education, visit https://eahaid.wordpress.com/about/ or email eahaid@gmail.com


.....................................................................................................

Boat
Ostrich
Africa
Tree



On a hot day in Africa there were trees everywhere.  So an ostrich was sitting under a tree to get some shade.  Suddenly there was a boat passing by in the river near the waterhole.  I stopped to see it but there was a wall when I ran to see but then there was a big wall when I ran over.  I climbed over it and saw the African flag.  I ran to school.  I was a bit late but it was exciting because I saw a lot of wild animals on my way.





Stars
Tree
Africa
River

On a bright night I was walking through Africa.  I saw a bird in a tall tree near a river.  Then I climbed the big mountains.  After that I went home.




I love this picture.  It is so good.  How did you do this?    I can see hot air balloons in the picture.  I can see homes.  I can see a rope.  I can see a person.





Hi, my name is Agyub.  I see a home and a dummy, trees and a baby sucking a dummy and a poor boy.


I see a bird flying in the sky.  I also see a big tree and a big flag.  I see one big star.  I see a goblin with a bone in its head.  I see the mountains.  I see the sun.  I see half a moon.  I see blue dirt.




The Indonesian Battle
Once upon a time there were two Indonesian terrorists.  There was a blue team and a red team.  There was an Indonesian wall in the middle.  The blue team’s motto was a cat.  The red teams motto was a rat (aka a dumb rat).  The next day they took down the wall but it wasn’t them it was the Jammans.  They had a brick to help them.  That made the teams crazy.  They all died.  The end.



War Dome
One day in 1467,  4,000 workers build a dome in Spain.  In 1470 three years later, they had a big celebration.  Then Japan came to attack, so they went back to the dome to get weapons and food.  They got a big fleet of galleys to escape to Italy.  Then Japan came to Italy, then the fight was on.

WAR

Then they started to fight.


The END




One day a person came to take one single bush.  The next day a mailer person came for another bush on a skateboard.  The mailers mailbag fell off his neck.  After that the single person became worried that his bush was getting old, so he bought a new bush.  Lots of people came to a big giant bell.  The next day I woke up in the big giant bell.  It rang and it blew the bush away.  When no one was looking I got two bushes and went home to cook the bushes.





They have a farm with animals and a flag with red and green and blue colours.  There is one tap and two trees and a river to swim in.  The shed has cars that are yellow and green and red.




There were two pilots on a ship.  One pilot was on a diving board.  The other pilot was sitting on a chair in the ship.  They were both happy.  The sun was shining on the ship.  They liked sitting in the sun.


Once upon a time I went to the beach.  I saw a big ship.  I saw a car too. It was orange.  It had a red light and black wheels.
..............................................................................................................................................
Words and pictures

This post features drawings by Eritrean refugee children from Aaidun and Nidal Elementary in Kassala, South East Sudan, with accompanying stories written by children of Flemington Primary School, Melbourne Australia.

The aim of this project is to stimulate links between students from the schools, and through the sharing of the pictures and stories to develop a deeper understanding of each other’s culture, beliefs and living conditions. 

The project has grown out of the gift of art work produced by Eritrean refugee children in Aaidun and Nidal Elementary and brought to Melbourne by Mr Anwar Alishek from the Eritrean Australian Humanitarian Aid (EAHA), a Melbourne Rotarian supporting Eritrean refugees in Sudan.

Some of the drawings and accompanying stories  were exhibited at Gallery Sunshine Everywhere in 2015. http://www.gallerysunshine.com/2015_Exhibitions/Pages/14_Jun_2015.html#grid

This is a joint project of Gallery Sunshine Everywhere, College of Education, Victoria University and the Eritrean Australian Humanitarian Association, facilitated by Sarah Tartakover, Maureen Ryan and Anwar Alishek.

This project was supported by the Victorian Multicultural Commission and will continue into 2016 with support from Brimbank City Council.

There is a pdf of the first book printed in this series available for download: https://app.box.com/s/pb2p9cmsjn520z10ebct71cwaf244m8m

Book layout and web design by Debbie Qadri

No comments:

Post a Comment